Sunday, July 10, 2005

Don’t get off the bus. . .travels in Florence, Italy

While in Florence with my mother (who flew to Germany to visit), Sam, Joe and Robin, we took a tourist bus ride around the city. It was a great tour and a great opportunity to see the city. On our last day there, we took the bus again to reach one of the locations we wanted to see. The plan was to return to the bus after visiting the location, return to the bus and get back to the hotel in time to get our car and head out to Venice. Sam, Joe and I headed to the top of the bus which was open air, but Robin and Mom stayed below. That was the first mistake as it would turn out. The bus reached a spot high atop the city to drop off passengers. The announcer said that the next bus would be there in 30 minutes for those getting off. Joe asked me if he could get off to get a drink. I told him no, because the bus wasn’t staying, but to check with his Dad. Joe headed down below. However, unbeknownst to me, my mother, Robin and Joe decided to get off the bus. Apparently they had understood that the bus would be there for 15 minutes before leaving. Sam and I had no idea they had left the bus, until. . .we reached the final agreed upon destination. Sam and I got off the bus, but we didn’t see Mom, Robin or Joe. Imagine our confusion, and then all the bad words coming out of my mouth! Where the @!X*$% were they?! Confused, Sam and I decided to walk around a bit and decided that at least we knew they would have to come back to the hotel as planned. At 2 pm, in walked Robin, Joe and my mom. Imagine their thoughts when they saw the bus leaving without them, but with Sam and me still on it! Apparently about 10 other passengers on the bus had also understood they could leave the bus. Imagine their surprise also as they turned to see the bus leaving. . .one Phillipine family had left all their bags, including passports and money on the bus. Robin, being one of the only visitors who could speak English became their personal helper to contacting the bus company. The lesson learned here? Don't get off the bus without your entire family and your bags! Fortunately, we only temporarily lost part of our family. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home