Thursday, November 17, 2005

Ahhhhhh, that feels good!

Today I went to my first session of physical therapy. Above the gym where I was exercising before my accident, is a PT office, so I decided to go there so that I can visit my friend Vera when she's exercising. There is a cappucino bar, and it's a place where a lot of people hang out, whether they are exercising or not.

Laura, was my PT today and she spoke a little English. Robin was supposed to have made the appointment with a specific therapist that definitely speaks English but somehow that's not what happened. Not sure if that was an English to English error between Robin and me, or an English/German to German error between Robin and the receptionist over the phone. But no worries, Laura and I were able to communicate clearly. She was surprises that she could understand my English so well. I have been told that a lot, and I tell them, just because I'm from Texas doesn't mean I'm not educated. . .

I didn't have to do too much, I just laid on the table while Laura attempted to stretch my leg. It was a lot like doing stretches before or after training but with the trainer handling it all, and only on one leg. Towards the end of the stretching I was having a cramp in my pelvis and she said that was because the muscle runs from below my knee all the way up and the muscle is short right now, so stretching it is necessary. Then I enjoyed (for the most part) a massage all over my quad. That's the strange thing to me, I guess because I don't know a lot about the body, but I have had a lot of pain in my thigh/quad and my calf. The massage felt nice and I asked her if she could just do that all day, either that or teach Robin how to do it. When the massage was over, she gave me this big popsicle of ice and I had to move that around on my knee for about 5 minutes. (I much preferred the massage).

I have PT sessions scheduled from now until the middle of December. Things are looking up . .. the doctor said I could even ski again if I want, but not before Christmas. I'm sure my parents and family don't think that's a great idea! We'll see. . .my knee will surely be stronger now than it was before the surgery.

Thanks for everyone's prayers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home