Thursday, October 27, 2005

Private Insurance is brilliant in Germany!

Part of living as an expat in Germany meant keeping our insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Most people in Germany, even some expats, have German insurance which can be difficult in some cases but great in others. For example, children with German insurance are always covered 100%, however, getting in to see physicians when you have German insurance can be a slow process. Because we have what would be considered "private insurance" meaning the doctor doesn't have to bother with government paperwork, it is very easy to get appointments. Call a doctor's office, ask for an appointment and at first they will say they don't have any openings for a while. Mention that you have private insurance and suddenly they say "how soon can you be here?" So, private insurance is a good thing.

Today I arrived to have my MRI and was told I'd have to wait for a while. My good friend Vera was with me again, and so she left to move her car to a place where she wouldn't be ticketed. . .parking, another difficult issue in Germany. However, no sooner had she left the room than I was called in for the MRI - private insurace I can assure you is what made it so quick. The MRI shouldn't have been so difficult but I had to keep my leg straight which was incredibly painful. it was a very long 20 minutes, but I prayed the whole time and made it through.

Vera and I then met with the radiologist who was a Chinese doctor who spoke English with an American accent. He spent 3 years in Washington DC during his training. We had a good conversation in spite of the bad news. According to the radiologist, it appears that I had previous damage to my knee (which I knew, I just never went to the doctor). I have torn my ACL, MCL and meniscus which I think is the worst possible scenario. Most people I have talked to have damaged one of two of these but not all three. For the good news, the radiologist told me that I had good strong bones and no sign of arthritis. He said he didn't want me to leave with all bad news.

Tomorrow I will meet with Dr. Buehler for the final diagnosis. It is Autumn break in Bavaria next week so I know I won't have surgery next week as Dr. Buehler has children and will be on holiday with them. So check back tomorrow for an update on my knee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home