Monday, October 31, 2005

No such thing as modesty in Germany . . .preop problems!

Today Robin took me for my pre op tests that I have to have before the surgery to repair my meniscus. As it would turn out, I had a small “I want my mom” meltdown episode during the testing. I was scheduled to have a variety of blood tests, a chest x-ray, lung capacity, and ekg. After a prelimary screening with the doctor at the testing facility, I was sent off to begin the tests. It wasn’t long after this that I noticed that most of the technicians, who were all women, didn’t appear to be older than 25 years old, many seeming to be around the 19-20 year old range. I hoped that whoever did the blood tests would be more experienced. I was first invited in for the chest x-ray. As I went into the dressing room I was told to remove everything from the waist up. Now I must say, that Robin’s ability to understand German and to speak a little of it is really good, and I’m really proud of him, but even he couldn’t figure out how to ask about where the dressing gown was or if I also had to remove my bra! We learned, everything comes off, and modesty is not a word that is understood in Germany. Needless to say, that hobbling on crutches to the chest x-ray machine with out even a paper towel for coverage is not something I want to experience again.

After this fine European experience I was invited to the blood test room where the seemingly more experienced technician (though she didn’t look older than 25) deftly removed about 7 tubes of blood from my arm, followed by the final finger prick. Robin and I left that room, sat down to wait for the next test and then I had my small meltdown. It didn’t last for long because I was then invited to the EKG room for further humiliation. Again, I was told I had to remove everything from the waist up and lay down on the exam bed while the electrodes were stuck to my body. OK, so I’m almost 43 years old, have had 2 babies, and still I wasn’t offered a normal American hospital type gown, and there were none in sight. Robin pointed out that at least the technicians were female. I wasn’t very receptive to that helpful information. Especially coming from someone who has had maybe 3 medical exams in his adult life.


So, the EKG ended and the technician said another tech would come in to administer the lung capacity test, and luckily for me, Robin asked, “Well, can she get dressed?” I was totally in a world culturally deprived of information regarding the American female culture.

So the tests ended and I have told Robin to make sure that my robe is washed because when I go to have surgery on Monday, I will not be walking anywhere without my robe, as it is obvious that modesty is not appreciated in Deutschland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home