Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ich habe meine Tochter gefunden! (I have found my daughter)

I’ve transitioned into the commuter’s world of bikes and trains. The train I take from Lohhof to Freising is about a 20min ride, and in the early morning it is full of school children. (Are you feeling any of my pain yet?) Well last week between Nuefarn and Eching, a group of young girls squeezed into seats next to me. Not long after the girls sat down, the train police (Rotmützen ) tapped me on the shoulder and asked for my ticket. After showing my ticket, two of the three girls also showed their school pass. When the last girl was asked to show her ticket, she pointed to me and told the Rotmützen, “Er ist mein Vater.” (He is my father.) Looking a bit frustrated, the Rotmützen looked at me to confirm, because with my ticket one child can ride for free. I, of course, agreed that I was the father and received a huge smile from my new daughter. After the Rotmützen left, I asked my daughter, “Bist du Americanerin?” I then got a very confused shake of the head to indicate ‘no’. So I said in English, “Well your father is American.” That brought a laugh to the girls and they even said “Good-bye” when they left the train for school. I also smiled, but I was smiling because I was glad to only be the father of sons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home